[MFD] MFD Teleconference 7/23 reminder, updated Agenda

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
Thu Jul 23 09:51:12 UTC 2009

There will be an MFD conference call at 3:00 PM EDT (12:00 PM PDT)
Thursday July 23.  In preparation for this I have uploaded the latest
version of the PWG Semantic Model Schema.  I contains updates based on
input from the Face to Face meeting.  The updated schema is available
via the MFD web page <http://www.pwg.org/mfd>  or the zip file directly
at <ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/schemas/PWG-SM2-Latest.zip>.

The meeting is held in accord with the PWG Intellectual Property Policy.

Note the NEW Teleconference number and access code are now used.

Please contact me if you do not have the new number and pass code.

Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-866-469-3239

Call-in toll number (US/Canada): 1-650-429-3300

Call-in toll number (US/Canada): 1-408-856-9570

Attendee access code: (by request only, please contact me if you do not
have it)

Agenda:

1. Identify Minute Taker

2. Approval of minutes from last meeting

<ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/minutes/pwg-ftf-mfd-minutes-20090624-25.p
df>

3. Agenda bashing

4. Overview of recent schema changes

5. Discuss MFD Model and Overall Semantics - Interim Draft. (validate
items below before update of draft)

1.     The  "Print" service, following the IPP model, contained many
more elements under Description and  Status than any other service. Many
of these elements appeared applicable to the MFD as a whole (and
therefore would appear under System) and/or perhaps to each individual
service. Many of these elements have now been put into the
ServiceDesciption and ServiceStatus  general groups.

a)     Do those elements which have been put in the  general groups
reasonably apply to all services as well as to the system and, if so,
what is the relationship between System values and Service values?
(i.e., is the System value the default or the overriding value..or does
it apply only to system-specific instances)

b)    Do any of the other Print Service specific elements also apply
(with the appropriate service name) to the system and/or the general
services element group? (e.g., MultipleDocumentJobsSupported,
MultipleOperationTimeOut, MultipleOperationTimeoutAction" /,
PrinterDetailedStatusMessages, PrinterMessageFromOperator,
PrinterMoreInfo, PrinterMoreInfoManufacturer,
PrinterSettableElementsSupported", ReferenceUriSchemesSupported,
RepertoiresSupported, ResourcesSupported, UserDefinedValuesSupported,
etc.)

indeed, the Functional Overview of a Multifunction Device discussion),
Pete responded:

"When discussing Services within an MFD,  that maps to Services under
Server.  When we discuss Subunits within an MFD,  that maps to
SystemConfigurations within System. It looks as though there is some
inconsistency as to what element represents the MFD in the schema.  I am
not sure how this should be resolved.  I believe there are transport
endpoints at which network services are available.  For the individual
MFD Services (e.g. Print, Scan) the schema element XxxService (e.g.
Server.Services.PrintServices.PrintService) represents the active
object.  For the MFD as a whole the Schema element Server.System
represents the active object.  I have begun defining a Web Service for
the MFD as a whole.  It seems to me that this inconsistency should be
discussed this Thursday."

3.     The schema has included EM EmailIn and EmailOut as services for
some time, but we never included them in the Services interface diagram
that Pete drew up some time ago.  Ira has explained that these are not
restricted to communicating images and therefore not subject to
inclusion in the overall FaxIn and FaxOut services.  However, it is not
clear to me that these are MFD services any more than HTTP, FTP and PSTN
are MFD services. I would like some consensus that these are MFD
services and what makes them MFD services, and how to include them in
the Services Interface Diagram.

4.     I have been restructuring the Overall document and am having
difficulty following a reasonable hierarchical structure while still
keeping the detailed elements descriptions at least close to each other.
This is my current organization.  I would appreciate some discussion.

1          Introduction

2          MFD Model

2.1        The MFD Semantic Model

2.2        The System

2.3        The MFD Services

2.4        Service Document Interfaces

2.5        Functional Overview of a Multifunction Device

3          MFD Model Concepts

3.1        Jobs, Documents, Tickets and Templates

3.2        Documents, Regions and Images

3.3        Coordinate Systems

3.4        Job and JobTicketLifecycle

3.5        DataTypes

4          Service Theory of Operation, Operations and States

4.1        General Service Sequence of Operation

4.2        Service, Job and Document States

4.3        Service Operations

5          Service Model Component Elements

5.1        JobTable

5.2        DefaultJobTicket

5.3        ServiceConfiguration - Subunits

5.4        ServiceCapabilities

5.5        ServiceStatus

6          Imaging Job Model

6.1        JobReceipt