[MFD] Issue for MFD teleconference Thursday 10/29?

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 17:18:45 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,

(1) MFD Overall Model is standards-track - so it HAS to
      have embedded or external Requirements spec itself.

(2) An embedded full Requirements section ensures that
     new requirements identified DURING the interface spec
     development can be included and addressed - while a
     free-standing Requirements document is static and
     never updated (in practice), so it tends to be out-of-date.

(3) Changing the PWG Standards Process (for what?) has
      a very long tail in time - roughly one year minimum.

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM, William Wagner <wamwagner at comcast.net> wrote:
> Agreed. On the other hand:
>
> 1. Going through a formal vote process on the requirements does assure that
> there is a minimum number of members who agree with (and other members who
> are aware of and have had an opportunity to object to) the requirements for
> and of the effort, perhaps avoiding the scramble to get comments during the
> development and votes on the balloting on the document.
>
> 2. The requirements document is preparatory to the specification document.
> The Specification document hopefully identifies the requirements either
> implicitly or explicitly, so that there would be little need for the
> separate requirements document after the specification document is complete.
>
> But I suggested the single unified requirements document for the MFD set as
> a guide and simplification of the remaining Service documents, applicable
> since there is a set of inter-related documents. I think the requirements
> are the same for each service specification, yet some requirements must
> apply to the set as a whole. That is, the modeling approach (and other
> things) must be consistent across all documents.
>
> The question of the advantages/desirability of bending the process is more a
> subject for the SC... including a consideration of whether the process
> document be revised.
>
> Bill Wagner

believed to be clean.