[MFD] MFD Overall draft update

Nancy.Chen at okidata.com Nancy.Chen at okidata.com
Wed Dec 2 19:16:08 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,

I think your recommendation "for a re-look" of use scenarios and
requirements is good. But I would like to remind you all that the "Network
Scan Use Cases and Requirements" had passed PWG Last Call, contains many
use cases and design requirements for Scan Service and part of Resource
Service.

The link to this document is:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/lcrc-mfdscanreq10-20080409.pdf

IPP and PSI also had very good use cases and design requirements developed
before the specs were finalized. I think these can be very good references
for the start of your  "rationale" document for the MFD Overall Semantics.

-Nancy

"William Wagner" <wamwagner at comcast.net>
Sent by: mfd-bounces at pwg.org
12/02/2009 12:00 PM

<mfd at pwg.org>
cc

Subject
[MFD] MFD Overall draft update

I have posted the current MFD Overall draft at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/wd-mfdoverallmod10-20091201.pdf and
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/wd-mfdoverallmod10-20091201.docx

This should deal with almost all of the issues brought up in October. I
have
noted most of these changes (other than purely editorial) with
highlighting.
I have also added a few comments, which are actually questions to be
addressed.

For whatever reason, MS Word is really having problems with this document,
inconsistently updating figure and table references and locking up at
least
one a session. maybe my program is corrupted. Updating cross references
manually is prone to error (and attention fatigue.) I am putting off
putting
in references until the text is basically stable (which will be soon I
hope.)

Note that it was agreed to put the "Rationale" in a separate overall
document. I will post a first cut (and sparse) draft of that tomorrow
morning. I think it important that this be properly considered and "real",
not just some words to nominally satisfy something in the PWG Process
document. I really need help with this.

1.     What do we intend in the Service Descriptions?

2.     Why are we doing this? That is, what are the scenarios that show
the
need for the information in these documents? (This will imply a way in
which
this information will be used.)

3.     What are the requirements that must be addressed in the Service
Descriptions (and associated documents)?

I think that we all had some notion of these things when we started,
although they may not have been the same. It is unclear whether, as this
activity has progressed, these ideas have solidified, become more
consistent
or perhaps have become confused in details and mechanics and have
dissipated. This is a good opportunity for a re-look, with either
resulting
affirmation or modification.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner