[MFD] Issue to resolve before publishing v1.111 <Response Requested>

Nancy.Chen at okidata.com Nancy.Chen at okidata.com
Mon Sep 20 20:38:05 UTC 2010

Hi Ira,

You brought up an important "ease-of-use" issue.

For duplicated attributes of "Supported" and "Default" attributes in
"Description" group of a service, I don't think it's good to require
administrator to replicate everything after changes in one group. Hence I
recommend the semantics should mandate that if administrator set a
Supported or Default attribute in the Description group, the service MUST
not only check the set of values or the value set  is in range and also
ensure the same is set in the corresponding attribute in the Supported or
Default group for consistency. And Vice Sersa if the adminstrator changed
a default value in the Default group or a set of allowed values in a
Supported attribute, and the same attribute existed in the Description
group.

All,

Further issues? comments?

Thanks,
-Nancy

Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>
09/20/2010 11:01 AM

Nancy.Chen at okidata.com, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>
cc
"Zehler, Peter" <Peter.Zehler at xerox.com>, mfd at pwg.org
Subject
Re: [MFD] Issue to resolve before publishing v1.111 <Response Requested>

Hi Pete and Nancy,

I generally agree with your conclusions, but...one question.

What are the required semantics of, e.g., the duplicated
DocumentFormatSupported and DocumentFormatDefault
(in JobTicket capabilites and Service description elements)?

Does changing one change the other?

The IPP intent of XxxSupported and XxxDefault in the
PrinterDescription were to allow Administrator control.

Does the Administrator have to set them both places?
(This reminds me of IPP parallel attributes yuckiness.)

Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
906-494-2434

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM, <Nancy.Chen at okidata.com> wrote:

> Hi Pete.
>
> >I am a little confused by your second
> >paragraph since capabilities should provide all the allowed values and
> >default provide the single value used when not overridden in the user
> >request.
>
> I thought that you were simply going to put <service>JobTicket and
> <service>DocumentTicket(without change)into service capabilities. I took
> look at the current MFD XML Schema, the JobTicket elements in service
> capabilties already changed to contain "allowed values" instead. Sorry
for
> the confusion.
>
> >In IPP the support and default values of
> >compression and the document format elements are properties of the
> >service description.  Should the elements be replicated there as well?
>
> I incline to say "YES" for consistency with IPP. Also they are REQUIRED
> attributes for Printer-Description.
>
> ALL: Anybody thinks it's too much redundancy? Please let us know.
>
> -Nancy

> Nancy Chen, PWG Vice-Chair
> Principal Engineer
> Solutions and Technology
> Oki Data
> 2000 Bishops Gate Blvd.
> Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054
> Phone: (856)222-7006
> Email: Nancy.Chen at okidata.com
>

>  *"Zehler, Peter" <Peter.Zehler at xerox.com>*
>
> 09/17/2010 03:50 PM
> <Nancy.Chen at okidata.com>
> cc
> <mfd at pwg.org>
> Subject
> RE: [MFD] Issue to resolve before publishing v1.111 <Response Requested>
>

> Nancy,
>

> You are right, I would need a parallel structure by introducing a
> <service>ServiceDefaults that would contain the existing
> Default<service>JobTicket and a new element for
> Default<service>DocumentTicket.  I am a little confused by your second
> paragraph since capabilities should provide all the allowed values and
> default provide the single value used when not overridden in the user
> request.  As for DocumentForma read on.
>

> I have been doing some comparisons between the PWG SM v1 and the current
> schema.  There are some defaults/supported values that are an issue.
> This is because these values are associated with  Document Description
> values or properties of the submitted Digital Document.  The elements in
> question from the PWG Semantic Model v1 (and IPP) are the
> PrinterDescription elements:
>

> [CompressionDefault]  (Missing in SM v1)
>
> CompressionSupported
>
> DocumentFormatDefault
>
> DocumentFormatSupported
>
> DocumetFormatDetailsDefault
>
> DocumentFormatDetailsSupported
>
> DocumentFormatVersionDefault
>
> DocumentFormatVersioSupported
>

> The <service>Document Description contains elements for
>
> Compression
>
> DocumentFormat
>
> DocumentFormatDetails

> [...]

believed to be clean.