[MFD] Why FaxIn should NOT add the PrintService attributes

Nancy.Chen at okidata.com Nancy.Chen at okidata.com
Wed Aug 10 17:33:26 UTC 2011

How can secure retrieval of printed FaxIn document via PIN be supported
this way?  I remember somebody mentioned before in one of our meetings
that this feature is desired.  Just won't be supported?

-Nancy

Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>
Sent by: mfd-bounces at pwg.org
08/10/2011 11:57 AM

"Zehler, Peter" <Peter.Zehler at xerox.com>, Ira McDonald
<blueroofmusic at gmail.com>, mfd at pwg.org
cc

Subject
[MFD] Why FaxIn should NOT add the PrintService attributes

Hi Pete,

Originally, we had some boolean to say "and by the way print"
for FaxIn (and EmailIn, presumably) - no longer in the schema.

Then we decided instead to tread print as just another destination.

And treating it that way let's the hardcopy for the FaxIn document
happen easily off-box (e.g., on a printer nearer the user).

I strongly favor no extra privilege/details for the print destination of
FaxIn - just a URI that points to some PrintService that prints with
the configured defaults.

Otherwise FaxIn-to-Print becomes more of a true compound
service - very undesirable.

WDYT?

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176