[MFD] RE: Missing semantic text for elements specific to System Object in System Control Service spec

Nancy.Chen at okidata.com Nancy.Chen at okidata.com
Thu Sep 15 16:46:51 UTC 2011

Hi Ira,

I agree with your conclusions.

Thanks,
-Nancy

Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>
09/15/2011 12:19 PM

Nancy.Chen at okidata.com, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>
cc
"Zehler, Peter" <Peter.Zehler at xerox.com>, mfd at pwg.org
Subject
Re: [MFD] RE: Missing semantic text for elements specific to System Object
in System Control Service spec

Hi Pete and Nancy,

Given that we keep AvailableResources as a top System element,
I suggest the following conclusions:

(1) A ResourceService MAY be started using SystemControlService
(or via factory installed configuration)
- but a System NEED NOT support ResourceService

(2) At most ONE ResourceService may started on a given System
- that is, no partitioning of Resource types is allowed across
different running instances of ResourceService
- this preserves the administrator's tight control of installed
resources, especially firmware

(3) The installation of temporary Resources (e.g., Job-scope scripts)
by End Users is OPTIONAL and MUST require strong access
control if supported
- otherwise it's not feasible to verify a Trusted System MFD

WDYT?

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Christmas through April:
579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
734-944-0094
May to Christmas:
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
906-494-2434

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM, <Nancy.Chen at okidata.com> wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> I'd like to keep AvailableResources.  It's important to keep an
inventory
> of installed system resources and all information about them so that
they
> can be easily tracked for product installation as well as
updated/upgraded
> later.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nancy
>

>  *Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com>*
>
> 09/14/2011 02:06 PM
> "Zehler, Peter" <Peter.Zehler at xerox.com>, Ira McDonald <
> blueroofmusic at gmail.com>
> cc
> Nancy.Chen at okidata.com, mfd at pwg.org
> Subject
> Re: [MFD] RE: Missing semantic text for elements specific to System
Object
> in System Control Service spec
>

> Hi Pete,
>
> I would prefer to keep the top-level AvailableResources element.
>
> Otherwise, an MFD can only implement Resources if it publishes a
> Resource service.  And the System Control Service can't modify
> metadata (such as expiration dates) on Resources or query them.
>
> That means no CIM or other translation of PWG SM can expose
> the Resource instances.
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
> Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SWG
> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
> Christmas through April:
> 579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
> 734-944-0094
> May to Christmas:
> PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
> 906-494-2434
>

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Zehler, Peter <Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Nancy,****

> > Pete****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > Peter Zehler
> >
> > Xerox Research Center Webster
> > Email: Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com
> > Voice: (585) 265-8755
> > FAX: (585) 265-7441
> > US Mail: Peter Zehler
> > Xerox Corp.
> > 800 Phillips Rd.
> > M/S 128-25E
> > Webster NY, 14580-9701 ****
> >
> > ** **

Object
> in
> > System Control Service spec****
> >
> > ** **
> >

> > Hi Pete,
> >
> > In the System Control Service spec, the following elements are
specific
> > the System Object, hence are not defined in MFD Model spec.  Would you
> > please add their semantic text ?
> >
> > in Section 6.2, the text for the following elements are missing in
> > SystemDescription: ****
> >

> > AvailableResources
> > <PZ>Removed from model.  It was added for the stalled

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_RES/draft-ietf-ipp-get-resource-00.pdfspecification

> </PZ>
>
> > ****
> >
> > DevicesSupported ****
> >
> > <PZ>Removed due to no clean mapping to PWG5104.2 and lack of PSI
support
> or
> > PSI implementations.</PZ>
> > ServicesSupported ****
> >
> > <PZ>Added</PZ>****
> >

> > in Section 6.3, the text for the following elements are missing in
> > SystemStatus:
> >
> > ConfiguredServices
> >
> > <PZ>Added</PZ>
> > SystemConfigChangeNumber
> > <PZ>Added</PZ>
> > SystemHealth
> > <PZ>Removed until PWG Hardcopy Device Health Assessment Attributes
> > completes Formal Vote</PZ>
> > SystemTotals ****
> >
> > <PZ>Added</PZ>****
> >

> > Some of them are already defined in another PWG standard spec, but
since
> > there is no reference in MFD Model spec, I think it's a good idea to
add
> > them here.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Nancy