[MFD] Question on Resolution Versus Qaulity

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Feb 1 23:20:10 UTC 2012

Glen,

Conceptually there is no reason a printer could not support a draft mode for multiple resolutions (and this is in fact the case in CUPS/Mac OS X), so preventing both from being specified will do a disservice to the user and printer/driver.

Quality != Resolution.  They may be related, and there may in fact be constraints that cause a particular combination to conflict, but they are not mutually exclusive and express separate intent.  The IPP/2.0 recommendation to prefer Quality over Resolution when there is a conflict is a pragmatic approach to automatic conflict resolution.

On Feb 1, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Petrie, Glen wrote:

> Mike, Pete, (All)
>
> So, should the PJT not specify both but rather specify one or the other?  I know that for the PJT, that “quality” is required while “resolution” is optional.   So if “quality” is required and always wins; what is the value or need for “resolution”?   The spec’s do not have a value of “unknown” or “other” for “quality”; so, the Print Service will not ever use the “resolution” information and, in fact, the “resolution” data simply adds confusion.
>
> However, if “quality” and “resolution” were made either-or-but-not-both, then a client could specify either without a “winner”.   The other option is add the values “unknown” or “other” to “quality” which directs the Print Service to use “resolution”.
>
> Glen

believed to be clean.