[MFD] Re: [IPP] Questions for the stable draft of IPP FaxOut

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Apr 17 18:42:26 UTC 2013

Bill,

On 2013-04-17, at 1:43 PM, William A Wagner <wamwagner at comcast.net> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Out of curiosity, it would seem possible (and perhaps it already exists) for
> a cell phone to use its camera as a scanner and to implement Scan and/or
> FaxOut services, perhaps even using an IPP binding.  Should we be
> considering that?

Not that it is a common use case, but there *are* existing mobile solutions that make a phone, when running an application, look like an IPP Printer.  Conceptually you *could* also make a phone look like a scanner or fax device.  But such solutions have some serious usability issues, such as not always being able to "print" from one application to the IPP Printer application on the same device due to memory/resource constraints.

If we *did* want to consider these "virtual printer" applications, I would focus on network accessibility and how to deal with an application/service that has been stopped due to temporary resource constraints.  This would have particular significance for cloud-based solutions, and point to some potential solutions ("wake up" notifications that cause the service to restart automatically...)

believed to be clean.