[MFD] Semantric Model V2

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jun 28 12:14:36 UTC 2013

Bill,

Thanks for putting this all together!

I won't be able to call in to the Monday meeting (holiday in Canada), but am glad to see Copy go and AddHardcopyDocument get added as one of the base Job operations.

One thing I'd like to see addressed in SM 2.0 is to harmonize AddHardcopyDocument with IPP FaxOut's Send-Hardcopy-Document - the crux of the problem is that the original definition of AddHardcopyDocument does not include most of the CopyInTicket elements. InputSource is not sufficient to describe the scanning intent.

My recommendation is to:

1. Add InputElements as a request parameter. The InputElements group includes InputSource, InputColorMode, InputMedia, InputOrientationRequested, InputQuality, InputResolution, and InputSides.
2. Deprecate InputSource as a request parameter, OR do an exclusion here like we do for MediaCol and Media/MediaType.
3. Add default and supported values for InputElements and its sub-elements to the service capabilities groups.
4. Add a copy of the InputElements to the DocumentDescription group as a receipt of what was added (something I'll need to add to the IPP FaxOut spec as well...)

On Jun 27, 2013, at 9:46 PM, William A Wagner <wamwagner at comcast.net> wrote:

> An updated draft of the SM V2 specification structure is posted at
> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/wd-pwgsemanticmodel20-20130624.pdf
> ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/mfd/wd/wd-pwgsemanticmodel20-20130624.docx
>
> This reflects the changes suggested at the last SM conference call, as well as an initial translation to the new PWG document format.  Some consolidation of redundant information has been done.
> The Rationale section can be reviewed for content. But perhaps the most useful thing would be to get contributors to work on some sections. Certainly, the Common Terms section could be wrapped up pretty well. Also, the section on configuration should not have changed so much, and someone could start checking the diagrams against the current schema. Oneve diagrams are updated, the tables can be checked to ensure that they follow the diagrams. Those who are more ambitious could would on other sections.
>
> We do need the Schema to be fully updated and reflecting the current concept. For example, the Copy Service is eliminated in favor of Copy being a Print Service function.
> So we have something to talk about Monday.
> Thanks,
> Bill Wagner
>

> --
> believed to be clean.