[MFD] Schema Element Table format and other questions

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Fri Jul 12 14:09:12 UTC 2013

For discussion on Monday's SM call, there are several items that need to be
resolved for us to proceed with the Imaging System Model specification. Some
of these affect the Cloud effort as well.
	1. Schema Graphics: There is a separate message on this. I propose
to use the Liquid XML format. The more critical thing is that the Schema is
up-to-date and correct.
	2. Copy Service: Mike indicated that we must establish the
characteristics of and handling of hardcopy document. I fully agree that we
need to "support hardcopy documents the same way across the model and expose
the "optimal" set of services needed". The need (or not) for a separate Copy
service will then be more clear. This is critical both for SM and Cloud
activities.
	3. Element Table Format: As of this time, I count 4 preferences for
the single line per entry table (including mine) and two for the multiple
line entry table. I should note  that there are almost 70 single line per
entry tables in the MFD Model spec, most of which  could be updated and
reused, that would need to be redone if we went to the multiple line per
entry format. I think that the group needs to perceive a significant
advantage to the multiple line format to justify the additional (very
tedious) effort.
Also, the purpose of the "Constraint" field has become unclear. I had
indicated how it has been used, which does not appear to agree with Paul's
comment. At any rate, I suggest that the Multivalued and Group fields (shown
in the graphics), and the Constraint field are unnecessary, further
diminishing the justification for the multiline format.
	4. Finally, I think we need to reconsider the title of the Spec. We
did have and Semantic Model 1, which was the Print Spec.. Then we had the
MFD Model and Common Semantics spec, which WAS Semantic Model 2. This is the
Imaggn System Spec... Semantic Model 3.0?
Thanks,
Bill Wagner