PWG-ANNOUNCE> vote on UPDF Charter

Stuart Rowley Stuart.Rowley at kyocera.com
Thu Nov 5 12:49:41 EST 1998

Sandra,

Although there is good descriptive text in the Abstract, in my opinion, the
bulleted goals are too nebulous. Hopefully, the the UPDF work will result
in reduced development time, simplified installation, etc. but I believe
the listed goals should be more definite, describing what will actually be
created by the effort, such as:

Goals of UPDF:
* To define a universal printer description file format that enables a
printer driver to configure itself based on the unique printer
characteristics.
* To design or specify a description format that can be used by multiple
operating systems.
* To enable dynamic configuration of printers via bi-directional communication
of configuration information.
* To support the largest possible number of existing printers.
* To provide extremely flexible mechanisms for extensibility to enable support
for as yet unimagined printers and features.

Since this effort used to be called Universal Printer Driver, perhaps it would
also be useful to include some more descriptive text in addition to the
currently terse "Also out of scope is the definition of the Universal Printer
Driver", stating how this effort may relate to a Universal Printer Driver.

Just my two cents.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Rowley                       Kyocera Technology Development, Inc.
Network Product Dev. Mgr.           3675 Mt. Diablo Blvd. #330
Printer Division                    Lafayette, CA 94549
stuart.rowley at kyocera.com           925 299-7206    Fax: 925 299-2489