PWG-ANNOUNCE> Call for interest - Complete Standard Imaging Model

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 18 12:37:21 EDT 2004

The PWG has a legacy of developing standards that span a large segment of
the printing industry. The Printer MIB, for example, has been adopted in
devices ranging from low-price, low-speed network attached printers to
very high speed production applications. The PWG Common Semantic Model,
likewise, is leveraged by industry standards ranging from CIP4 to
Bluetooth.

One area of primary focus, the networked office device, has undergone a
transformation from network printer to network MFD with an associated
shift toward to a services oriented, fleet managed placement and operation
model. This begs for new standards upon with to base new tools development
to enable remote management of heterogenous fleets. The PWG is responding
to this need, largely via the WIMS (Web-based Imaging Management Services)
effort which includes extending the PWG Common Semantic Model to express
the necessary device management elements.

WIMS presents the opportunity (and need) for the PWG to model more than
just the printer, print job and document... but to grow our model to
embrace a more complete imaging system including scan, fax, copy and
finishing services. THIS IS A CALL FOR INTEREST IN FORMATION AND
PARTICIPATION IN A FORMAL, MFD ORIENTED, PWG WORKING GROUP TO DEFINE A
COMPLETE STANDARD IMAGING MODEL. I hope the industry will respond with a
show of support for this effort. To create a CSIM working group we will
need volunteer leadership and knowledgeable participants from across the
industry. If, due to lack of bandwidth (in PWG and the industry) we cannot
muster critical mass, the default approach will be for WIMS to develop a
skeleton set of objects, enough to express the state and some metrics
interesting to fleet management and billing (ex. number of scan
impressions).

We try not to clog up "pwg-announce" with long threads so I invite you to
respond to me, personally and copy your response to "pwg at pwg.org" where we
welcome and encourage general discussion about goals and operation of the
PWG.

I look forward to your responses and I will plan a report on this topic
and proposal for action during the PWG Plenary in Montreal August 18,
2004.
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org