PWG-ANNOUNCE> New Topic(s) to be discussed at Tokyo Plenary

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 7 01:48:14 EDT 2005

Be advised that there are some new topics which will be introduced during
the FSG/PWG joint Plenary in Tokyo Wednesday afternoon. One or more of
these topics may result in a Wednesday evening BOF if enough interest is
expressed during the Plenary.

1. Projector Management BOF
  - It has been observed that projector equipment manufactures (ex. LCD
projectors) are in a state similar to printer manufactures 10 years ago in
that several major projector makers use SNMP for device management but all
are using incompatible private MIBs. A standard MIB or, at least, common
semantics may be very helpful in the industry. The PWG would be expanding
its role into a broader set of "imaging" solutions if we were to host this
project.

2. MFD Security Model. One PWG member has express a desire to introduce
MFD Security Model concepts. Since the IEEE P2600 has been working in this
area we will want to assure the PWG does not embark on a redundant effort.
There may be elements of a standards MFD security model which are
complimentary to P2600 and/or which belong in the PWG, however.

3. PWG Semantic Model / DMTF CIM mapping. We have been circling the wagons
around this work effort but no one has built a campfire yet. Need to
evaluate motive, requirements, resources, anticipated benefits etc and
develop an action plan

4. Print Number (see Camas minutes
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/minutes/pwg_plenary_minutes_20050112.pdf
.) The Print Number team (from China) indicated they may attend Tokyo but
I haven't heard from them recently. We will add this to the (BOF) agenda
if someone from Print Number attends.

If you are interested in any of these topics I strongly encourage your
participating in the Plenary and ask you to consider the potential for an
evening BOF Wednesday April 13 in Tokyo.
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems