PWG-ANNOUNCE> PWG - DMTF alliance for CIM mapping

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 25 15:06:36 EDT 2005

A official alliance is being formed and a "Work Register" has been filed
that defines a project wherein the PWG and DMTF will cooperate in updating
the DMTF CIM core schema as they pertain to printing. The Work Register
will be voted and (assuming it passes) the alliance will become official
at the DMTF Board meeting May 12. In anticipation of a mid-May kick-off I
am asking for volunteers interested in assisting with this effort (even if
you responded to an earlier request when I announced the concept, please
take this opportunity to reiterate your support).

The main effort will be to evaluate the current CIM System Devices core
schema and recommend where and how it should be updated to align with the
latest Printer MIB v2, PWG Semantic Model, and PWG Counter Specification
(which should be Candidate Standard status by that time).

The PWG has been quite successful, through the efforts of all our members,
in helping standards orgs across our industry... from Bluetooth to CIP4...
adopt a fairly common set of semantics. The effort to align with DMTF has
a similar goal. The DMTF consists of several large enterprise management
app vendors who are interested in preparing for the potential convergence
of Server/Storage/Printer management. Aligning our semantics and schema
will be an initial goal. Beyond that effort there may be future
opportunities to influence management protocol and operations in
subsequent cooperative projects.
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org