PWG-ANNOUNCE> Letter of Assurance for Patent Essential to IPP MailTo received from Ricoh

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 28 18:47:13 EDT 2005

The PWG has received a Letter of Assurance from Ricoh Company, Ltd. which
states that US Patent 6889263 is essential to the IPP MailTo delivery
method of event notification.
Please see
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/loa/ipp/20050721174635246.pdf  for
further details including the patent holders position on licensing.

Because of the legal nature of patents, I will include a reminder that
standard IEEE policy regarding communications about patents includes the
following:

1. We do not discuss the validity or essential nature of patents or their
claims in our standards forums or e-mail
2. We do not discuss the costs related to use of a specific patent
3. We do not discuss licensing terms or conditions other than to
acknowledge the patent holders stated position regarding licensing
4. We do not discuss ongoing or threatened litigation
5. We do not remain silent, rather, we formally object if inappropriate
topics are discussed.

There may be discussion about the direct effect this LOA may have on the
IPP MailTo working draft and its status progressing toward PWG Candidate
Standard. Please use the IPP at PWG.ORG mail list for any such discussion
(not PWG-ANNOUNCE).
Harry Lewis
IBM STSM
http://www.pwg.org