Draft of the new prtGeneralPrinterName MIB object

JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Thu Aug 1 19:02:00 EDT 1996

Michael,

> Would it be acceptable to allow the administrative name to be used for
> AppleTalk addressing purposes?  In that environment, printers are identified
> by symbolic names (up to 31 characters) in the Chooser.  There are some
> limitations on the character set which may be used for such names though
> whereas the description below allows any arbitrary string.

I don't see why one can't use the AppleTalk "Chooser" name as the
value for this object.  Seems pretty rationale and natural to me.

Let me ask this:  given a heterogenous network (PCs, Macs, Unix, etc),
would an administrator refer to the printer by the Mac Chooser name
within all environments?  That is, if the Chooser name is "LaserZapper",
then would an administrator tend to refer to the printer as "LaserZapper"
in the non-Mac environments?

	...jay