Draft of the new prtAlertTableChanges MIB object

Binnur Al-Kazily binnur at hpb15650.boi.hp.com
Fri Aug 2 18:33:00 EDT 1996

As you have guessed, your mail has arrived after I sent out the message..
However, talking to our developers here, they are more concern with
counter incrementing for both critical & warning alerts. As an example,
even if there is no critical error present, finding out that the toner is
getting low, or you are out of paper in tray 1 is as important. So, we
want to filter out everything else from the counter object which are
informational, or possibly classified as other. This way, we could still
have only one object added to the MIB, and if the management application
is interested in all the changes that occurs in the alert table, they
would simply poll. Any comments from other developers??

> Not sure what you mean here.  Are you asking whether a new Alert Table
> entry will be created when the prtAlertTableChanges object is
incremented?
> (I certainly hope this is not what you're thinking!)

I was thinking in terms of sending a trap out with a alert code that
indicates that alert table change has occurred (without entering it into
the alert table). This would be a duplicate entry for critical errors,
but might be useful for warnings.. Overall, I just wanted to assure we
have covered all areas in the Printer MIB in terms of adding this new
object.

 ---
Binnur Al-Kazily    Hewlett-Packard Company    Integrated Network
Solutions
binnur at boi.hp.com       (208)396-6372             KB7WYD    DoD #2010