Host Resources MIB time-line

Ira Mcdonald x10962 imcdonal at eso.mc.xerox.com
Sat Aug 3 12:54:46 EDT 1996

Hi Binnur,

Among the more than 60 published IETF communications MIBs (in RFCs),
the majority have not been (and are not now) following the IETF 2 year
timeline.  The Host Resources MIB (RFC 1514) is in good company with many
other MIBs that have been quite widely implemented (at least in vertical
markets like routers and bridges) but have not advanced in the standards
process.  It would be dubious behavior for the IETF (at this late date)
to single out RFC 1514 as a problem for the Printer MIB second edition
work.  This undisciplined, unscheduled 'standards' process is the main
reason that the IETF is still treated cautiously by ISO, ITU, and other
responsible formal standards organizations.

The three year debacle in the SNMPv2 security standards work did not go
unnoticed in the OSI CMIP community - who have been shipping secure CMIP
products since 1988, first in European and then in US PSTN/ISDN/ATM
backbone switches - it is some of those switches that make it possible
for me to send you this email reply, of course.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  PO Box 221
  Grand Marais, MI  49839
  906-494-2434