Anonymous Mail Messages

Jeff Schnitzer jds at underscore.com
Wed Aug 14 09:24:49 EDT 1996

rbergma at dpc.com wrote:

> I have observed many messages from the PWG reflector without an
> author's name.  While most of the messages have been informative,
> it is usually nice to know the source of the message.
>
> Since the new PWG server does not include the source of the original
> message (the HP server would sometimes include this informtion), I
> would like to recommend that everyone include a *signature* at the
> end of every message.  (Then we will know who to thank or, in some
> cases, where to aim the laser.)

Ron,

I do not believe the new PWG server strips the "From:" line from
the mail header.  Is it possible your mail agent or gateway is
munging the mail?

Signatures in mail are a good idea in any case.  Many mail systems
mangle return addresses.  For example, a simple "reply" to the
             rbergma%miami.dnet.dpc.com at gate.dpc.com
"From:" address in the message quoted above would probably not make
it through the dpc gateway machine.

/Jeff

Jeffrey D. Schnitzer      |   Email:  jds at underscore.com
Underscore, Inc.          |   Voice:  (603) 889-7000
41-C Sagamore Park Rd     |     Fax:  (603) 889-2699
Hudson, NH  03051-4915    |     Web:  http://www.underscore.com