Clarifications to Printer MIB

Lloyd Young lpyoung at lexmark.com
Wed Aug 21 14:20:53 EDT 1996

In order to make sure that we are able to maximize our time next week in
the Printer MIB discussion, I have attempted to consolidate the discussion
on the original note that Binnur sent out on 7/31/96. I put change bars (|)
by the items that I modified where the discussion seemed to agree on a
change. Where the discussion raised questions about a change, I listed
the questions under the items and distinguished these by a question
mark (?). On the items where there was no discussion, I assumed that these
changes were acceptable to everyone and left them only.

Please comment (as if this group needs any encouragement :-) ) if there are
modifications/corrections required to the list.

1.
I suggest that we add the following sentences at the end of the
prtGeneralReset object:

  If a device does not have NVRAM, the device shall none the less respond
  to a SET with the value resetToNVRAM(5) with some sort of "warm reset"
| that resets the device to some implementation-defined state. An
| implementation may chose this to be the same as the power on state.

2.
Add the following text to the end of the first paragraph of 2.2.7
and the first paragraph in the Media Path Group on page 64 which are
duplicates of each other and end in "plus a table of separate media
paths.

  Each media path row may represent a logical or a physical media path
  in the device.  Several logical media paths may represent a single
  physical media path.  Each such logical media path expresses the
| printing capabilities of that logical path.  For example, a device
| may have a single physical media path that is used for duplex printing.
| However, when duplex printing the printer can alter the orientation
| of printing between the two sides such that binding can be done along
| the short edge or the long edge of the media. An implementation may
  chose to represent the media math of such a device as two logical
  media paths instead of a single physical media path.

3.
I think we should add the following statement to the Printer MIB
to make it clear what an interlock is intended to be.  I suggest adding
the following sentence to the end of the first paragraph under
The Cover Table (page 30, RFC 1759):

   An interlock is a mechanism that stops the printer from operating
   when the interlock is in the interlockOpen or interlockClosed
   state, depending on implementation.

?  Is this clarification required? If yes, is there a better definition?
?  Do we need interlocks in the Cover Group?

4.
Remove the range constraint of prtInputDefaultIndex, i.e., change
on page 36:

    SYNTAX     Integer32 (1..65535)

  to:

    SYNTAX     Integer32

to agree with prtOutputDefaultIndex.

5.
Add the following sentence to the end of the DESCRIPTION of
prtInputDefaultIndex:

   This value shall be 0 if there is no default input subunit specified
   for the printer as a whole.  In this case, the actual default
   input subunit may be specified by means outside the scope of this
   MIB, such as by each interpreter in a printer with multiple
   interpreters.

6.
Add the following sentence to the end of the DESCRIPTION of
prtOutputDefaultIndex:

   This value shall be 0 if there is no default output subunit specified
   for the printer as a whole.  In this case, the actual default
   output subunit may be specified by means outside the scope of this
   MIB, such as by each interpreter in a printer with multiple
   interpreters.

7.
Add the following definitions to 2.2.13.2.2:

| Available means that the printer or sub-unit can accept print jobs.

| Idle means that the printer or sub-unit is not working on any print
  jobs.

| Active means that the printer or sub-unit is working on at least
  one print job.

| Busy means that the printer or sub-unit is not able to accept print
| jobs for some period of time.

? Discussion about the difference between Available and Busy needs to
? be resolved.

Lloyd Young                       Phone: (606) 232-5150
Lexmark International Inc.        Fax: (606) 232-6740
740 New Circle Road NW            internet: lpyoung at lexmark.com
Lexington, KY 40511