The proper value for hrDeviceIndex for a printer?

JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Fri Aug 30 15:05:00 EDT 1996

Hi Steve,

I'm having a bit of trouble developing the algorithm to resolve
the first printer registered in a HR MIB device table, and I
was hoping you could help me out.

My understanding of hrDeviceType is that it should contain an OID
describing the type of device, and that for a printer, this value
should be:  1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.1.5

Is this correct?

My recent testing indicates that at least two printer vendors are
setting the OID value as:  1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.2.1.2.1

Since both vendors report the same value, I'm thinking that perhaps
I am misunderstanding the situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

	...jay

--  JK Martin               |  Email:   jkm at underscore.com          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03015-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --