Draft of the new prtGeneralPrinterName MIB object -Reply

Scott A. Isaacson Scott_Isaacson at novell.com
Thu Aug 29 13:42:19 EDT 1996

Jay,

In the following message you ask what to do about multiple entries for
host based agents.  You ask how Novell is solving this since we have
the same problem.

The answer:

We do NOT set this name by doing an SNMP SET.  We only reflect what
the name has been set to by some other administrative entity.
Specifically that entity is The NetWare Adminstrator or NWAdmin.  That
utility keeps track of what legal names are and conflicts in certain
domains or hierarchies.  The SNMP Agent simply shows what it has
been set to.

Scott

>>> JK Martin <jkm at underscore.com> 08/02/96 01:54pm >>>
So, in the host-based scenario, you might ask whether the SNMP agent
should reject a SNMP Set command that attempts to set the printer
administrative name to a value already used by another printer in
the HR MIB.

Good question.  If the agent does NOT reject the duplicate value, then
software such as ours will BREAK (or at least not present what the user
thought was the associated printer).  Does this situation sound
acceptable
to you?

My opinion?  The agent should reject the value.

Are there any other similar situations in MIB-land to which we can
refer (based on existing practice/experience)?

Jay Cummings (and other Novell folken): what do you folks have to
say about this situation (since you have this very problem)?