Internet and Fax Interoperabilty: Big Picture

Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Wed Sep 4 21:44:56 EDT 1996

Thomas P. Koltai wrote:
> I wonder if you could share the methodology of this with the group.

The development of this technology was the subject of Internet Printing
at the last PWG Meeting.  While making this work is not rocket science,
it does need some real work and it needs to be standardized.

>And in respect of the dedicated facsimile machines; I think the problem is
twofold:
>1. The machines already exist. Interfacing the existing machines to IP is
economically
>desirable.
>2. Many non-IT folk like to hold bits of paper in their hands and feed it
through themselves.
>Allowing a computer to achieve the same result will only appeal to a small
portion of the
>community.

Please don't take this personally if you are a very fax-centric person, but
I see no reason to perpetuate 200 DPI printing, scanning etc.  It is time to
move remote printing (read faxing) to the modern era.  2400 DPI 24-bit
color scanning and contone, high resolution printers are going to be
needed to fill the long term needs.  Let's pitch the horse buggy whips
and provide the solution that's going to be needed in the not too distant
future.

If some other group wants to bolt fax machines to the internet -- fine but
I have no interest in it.

Don