Internet and Fax Interoperabilty: Big Picture

Raymond Lutz raylutz at cognisys.com
Fri Sep 6 02:06:42 EDT 1996

I have no problem with your scenario, and it is done all the time with
Computer-Fax with an attached printer. My point is that you will still be
interested in SENDING (legacy) faxes to those people who haven't upgraded to
this new scenario, or you don't happen to know their email, or the internet
is too slow for your application. I know I currently give up sometimes on
the internet, and sometimes our ISP is down. POTS is still up and provides
instant gratification.

At 12:14 PM 9/5/96 -0700, Babak Jahromi wrote:

>A lot of the existing, grass-root fax machines you are talking about
>won't/cannot upgrade to get Internet connection. They are there just to
>deal with POTS.
>
>Now for an organization who has or will buy a decent printer attached to
>a decent server, with an internet connection, it will be very attracrive
>not to have to also buy a high-end fax hardware. They print solution can
>let them send/receive hard copy docs to/from the electronic-aware
>outside world (of course grandma is not included here). So at least the
>need for high-end fax hardware seems to be eroding, but of course not
>right away. I see that over time, as more users get hooked to Interent,
>they will be as well equipped to print over Interent, as they are to
>send fax. Except that their fax calls are MUCH more expensive, and the
>quality is far worse. Which one do you think they will pick?
>
>Babak

** Raymond Lutz                             Voice: 619-447-3246
** Director R & D, Cognisys, Inc.           Fax:   619-447-6872
** MFPA EC Chair                            BBS:   619-447-2223
** 1010 Old Chase Ave., Suite B             EMail: raylutz at cognisys.com
** El Cajon (San Diego Co.), CA 92020 USA   MFPA:  1-800-603-MFPA
** WWW:   http://www.cognisys.com                  http://www.mfpa.org