FWD: hrStorageSize limits

Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Sep 25 23:25:15 EDT 1996

Instead of adding a scale factor to the Host Resources MIB, which would
be incompatible with the current MIB as you point out, how about just adding
a new object (to the same or a new group) that is the high order 31 bits of a
62-bit quantity?  So the current object would continue to be the low order 31
bits and the new object would be the high order 31 bits.  Then it would be
compatible with current implementations, until a storage device actually
exceeded 2**31 bits.

Tom Hastings, Printer Working Group (PWG)

P.S. The Printer MIB - RFC 1759 uses the Host Resources MIB.  The PWG is
anxious for the Host Resources MIB to be updated, because we have a small
number of requirements that we'd like to input into that process.
You can reach us at pwg at pwg.org

Thanks,
Tom