Closing down the Printer MIB

David_Kellerman at nls.com David_Kellerman at nls.com
Thu Sep 26 19:19:40 EDT 1996

Lloyd,

Thanks for laying the issues out so cleanly.  Your suggestions seem
to me to be right on the mark.  Uh, with one exception...

I don't know what it is about the chPort9100 and AppSocket enum
values that is so intractable, but I think your description is still
messed up.  Now, I'm going out on a limb here, because I've been
doing (HP-style) port 9100 communications for years now, and if it
uses port 9101 for control, I'm going to look pretty clueless.  But I
think the description indicated by Lloyd:
    >        chPort9100(11),  -- Bi-directional printing protocol
    >         -- utilizing TCP port 9101 for control
    >         -- and TCP port 9100 for data.
SHOULD be:
    >        chPort9100(11),  -- Bi-directional printing protocol
    >         -- utilizing TCP port 9100 for data and control.

AppSocket I'm not so sure about, because Adobe doesn't say much
publicly about it. The description is reasonably accurate as Lloyd
indicated:
    >        AppSocket(12),   -- a bi-directional, LPD-like
    >                         -- protocol using 9101 for
    >                         -- control and 9100 for data
    >                         -- Adobe Systems, Inc.
(And considering all the trouble we're having with these definitions,
it's probably safest to leave it as-is.)  However, I don't think
"LPD-like" is really true -- AppSocket is closer to port 9100 in
style than it is to lpr/lpd.

My recollection, by the way, is that these definitions were correct
at one point, then got mangled in an editing accident which has
propagated ever since.

In summary, my recommendation would be:

    chPort9100(11),  -- Bi-directional printing protocol using
                     -- TCP port 9100 for data and control.
    AppSocket(12),   -- Bi-directional printing protocol using
                     -- using TCP port 9101 for control and
                     -- 9100 for data
                     -- Adobe Systems, Inc.

::  David Kellerman         Northlake Software      503-228-3383
::  kellerman at nls.com       Portland, Oregon        fax 503-228-5662