How to detect the printer Model - hrDeviceID

Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Thu Oct 24 01:31:00 EDT 1996

This has been a pretty interesting discussion, one we have similarly
touched on in the past but not in detail. I think for the purposes
of host software support of printer models, it is reasonable to
assume that, when a application is developed, that some set of
known product support is included within the application.

When the application is started, a "scan" is made of the printing
topology to find out which of the devices on the network that the
application has "knowledge" of. As far as the registry of known
hrDeviceIDs, it would be nice of there was one big registry, but
what I think you will find, is that manufacturers will be
carving out a section of their vendor-specific OID tree for product
OIDs. This does not make it that much more difficult than a single
primary repository for such OIDs, since printing application vendors
need to focus on a core set of printer models they want to
specifically support...and during this process they can grab the
specific vendors' product OIDs at that time.

In short, OIDs are definitely the way to go, and if its possible,
I would like to see a single device registry also; except, not just
for printers....I would like to see the industry as a whole have a
way to translate hrDeviceIDs to actual product strings for all of
their devices.  I could still do it with vendor specific device OID
trees, it would just take a little more time.

Besides, I would hate to see the domain of the hrDeviceID problem
get splintered off into so many different device class registries,
all located in different places, managed by different entities, with
different rules and policies.

I think we should adopt a strategy of using OIDs to uniquely identify
product models and approach the IETF or other working groups
(possibly at the next network management open area meeting in
December) about establish such a singular hrDeviceID registry.

Just my $0.02

Randy