What RFC 1759 section 3 says about implementing other MIBs

Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Oct 31 16:56:19 EST 1996

I guess we should all go and re-read RFC 1759 (blush).  In our discussion on the
telecon yesterday, we all forgot what RFC 1759 says about MIB-II and the
Host Resources MIB.  Its pretty clear:

3.  Objects from other MIB Specifications

   This section lists the objects from other IETF MIB specifications
   that are mandatory for conformance to this Printer MIB specification.

3.1.  System Group objects

   All objects in the system group of MIB-II (RFC 1213) must be
   implemented.

Smith, Wright, Hastings, Zilles & Gyllenskog                   [Page 22]

RFC 1759                      Printer MIB                     March 1995

3.2.  System Controller

   The System Controller is represented by the Storage and Device Groups
   of the Host Resources MIB (RFC 1514).  These are the only groups that
   are required to be implemented.  Other Groups (System, Running
   Software, Running Software Performance, and Installed Software) may
   be implemented at the discretion of the implementor.

3.3.  Interface Group objects

   All objects in the Interfaces Group of MIB-II (RFC 1213) shall be
   implemented.