Printer MIB Implementation Experience

Lloyd Young lpyoung at lexmark.com
Mon Nov 4 13:49:09 EST 1996

We must submit an implementation experience matrix to IETF for the
Printer MIB. Deidre's request was that we list tables, scalar objects,
and traps as column headings and vendors as row headings. I have
come up with something that I wanted to toss out for discussion.
I decided to list groups instead of tables because for the groups
that are mandatory, we were supposed to implement everything
in that group. I also took a first pass at filling in the matrix
for the printer vendors. I used the information for the optional
groups that had previously been sent in (for some reason I cannot
find my copy of the reports from Kyocera and Xerox).

There are two areas for discussion:
1. Format of the matrix. Should we list all tables or is groups
acceptable?
2. Implementators need to verify and/or fill in the correct
information for their implementation.

                      HP   IBM   Kyocera   Lexmark   Tektronix   Xerox

General Printer Grp      x    x     x         x         x           x
Responsible Party Grp    x    x     ?         x         x           ?
Input Group              x    x     x         x         x           x
Extended Input Group     x    x     ?         x         x           ?
Input Media Group                   ?         x         x           ?
Output Group             x    x     x         x         x           x
Extended Output Group    x    x     ?         x         x           ?
Output Dimensions Grp               ?         x         x           ?
Output Features Group    x          ?         x         x           ?
Marker Group             x    x     x         x         x           x
Marker Supplies Group    x          ?         x         x           ?
Marker Colorant Group               ?         x         x           ?
Media Path Group         x    x     x         x         x           x
Channel Group            x    x     x         x         x           x
Interpreter Group        x    x     x         x         x           x
Console Group            x    x     x         x         x           x
Alerts Group             x    x     x         x         x           x
Alert Time Group              x     ?         x         x           ?
Traps Generated          ?    ?     ?         x         ?           ?

For vendors which implemented different groups on different products, I
decided that a logical OR of the different implementations was
appropriate. Discussion?

Lloyd Young                       Phone: (606) 232-5150
Lexmark International Inc.        Fax: (606) 232-6740
740 New Circle Road NW            internet: lpyoung at lexmark.com
Lexington, KY 40511