Resend: Re: PWG> ISSUE: Add hrDeviceIndex as a varBind to

Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Dec 3 17:28:19 EST 1996

Steve,

Our Internet Draft 00 just posted does add the hrDeviceIndex onto the
end of the trap varBinds.  Is that ok?

The draft also uses the same trap OID:  { mib-2 43 18 2 0 1 }
Is that ok?

Or should the document assign a new trap OID, say:  { mib-2 43 18 2 0 2 }
so that NMS can distinguish between the two traps:
the ones that they have to parse a varBind to determine the
hrDeviceIndex and the ones that they can use the value of the new
7th varBind parameter directly.

Or do you recommend that we keep the draft MIB the same as the proposed
Printer MIB (RFC 1759) and not add hrDeviceIndex to the trap varBinds?

If we do keep the draft MIB the same as the proposed MIB (by issuing
another Internet Draft), I strongly suggest that we add the following
note to help implementors understand (since no one at the PWG meeting
last month could explain what would be parsed and how).  Ok?

NOTE: While the trap OID (printerV2Alert) itself
does not include the hrDeviceIndex, each of the varBinds do.
So each of the varBinds: prtAlertIndex, prtAlertSeverityLevel,
prtAlertGroup, prtAlertGroupIndex, prtAlertLocation, and prtAlertCode
shall contain the hrDeviceIndex in them.  So an NMS receiving the trap
need only remove the last arc from the OID for one of the varBinds, say
the prtAlertIndex, to get the next to last OID arc which contains the
value for hrDeviceIndex that corresponds to the device that generated
the trap.

Do you have any suggestions on the text for such a note?

Thanks,
Tom