PWG> PWG OID Structure Proposals

Nixon, Bob b_nixon at emulex.com
Wed Jan 14 12:47:00 EST 1998

I'm not educated enough to have an opinion on the PWG MIB structure, but
here is a point to consider...

Feedback from our customers has often indicated that "MIB walk"
(sequential access in OID order) needs to present a usable view of a
system and / or its subsystems.  This would argue against a "flat" or
 "functional" organization because a large body of unrelated information
may lie (in the examples, does lie) sequentially between the MIB for a
project ("subsystem"?) and its later-developed extensions.  The "project"
organization seems better able to support this goal.

   - Bob Nixon. Emulex Network Systems