don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Thu Dec 3 16:14:17 EST 1998

I have started reviewing the Canon IP proposal (which is down linked off the
chair's page) and have the following comments:

1) In the second paragraph of Section 8.1 (a):   Unless the PWG incorporated, it
cannot own intellectual property and therefore cannot license them

2)  In 8.1 (b): Items1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 are more process rather than IP items.
If necessary, they should be covered elsewhere in the process document.

3) Section 6:  What is the method for submitting a patent statement:
     - Web page?
     - E-mail?
     - snail-mail?

4) Section 8.3:  Related to #1 above, I'm not sure how to indemnify something
that doesn't exist legally, i.e. the PWG.

I have not sent this on the our legal folks yet because the problems here are
obvious to me.  I think we'll need to clean this up or do something about the
incorporation to close some of the issues.

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *