PWG> 1284 & 1284.4 communication

Subramanya T. N. prayog at giasbg01.vsnl.net.in
Thu Nov 23 23:18:44 EST 2000

Hello all!

I had a problem connecting to 1284 with 1284.4 based printer.

Though we have been succesfull in getting the printer ID through nibble mode (04 command while negotiation). But we have not be successful in implementing the bi-di feature using 1284.4 and using 00 command while negotiation.

For example: If we send a Init command in the compatibility mode and negotiate for nibble mode in reverse data channel, the negotiation is successful but the interface enters the Host Busy Data Not Available phase, when we are actually expecting a InitReply from the printer. Even if enter the HNB-DNA phase (Idle Phase), there is no response from the printer. We know for sure the printer supports Bi-Di and also 1284.4 protocols.

I am not sure if we have done the right thing. I have both the 1284 and 1284.4 standards withme, but neither informs how to send the command (whether the Init command should be sent in the compatibility mode or other mode) and receive the corresponding reply.

I request anybody who have worked on the driver for the printers to guide us in getting a solution and if there are any other forums where I can get some help.

Thanks & Regards,
Subramanya T. N.
Prayog Automation &
Control Electronics,