Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Feb 20 18:18:03 EST 2001

Harry,

The PWG Production Printing documents have been published since January 2000
on the PWG server.

However, we didn't really address them until the September meeting. The
minutes contain the following:

2.5 Production Printing

Carl-Uno referenced the JDF activity [www.job-definition-format.org] that
has received much attention at the Seybold Conference. According to
Carl-Uno, there is an ongoing attempt to get the JDF effort to adopt the IPP
semantics.

2.6 Production Printing Attributes

Tom Hastings led a review of the latest draft of the Production Printing
Attributes document:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_PPE/pwg-ipp-prod-print-set1-000605.pdf
It was suggested that a "force new sheet" attribute should be added. A
capability for defining "flush-left/right/top/bottom" was also suggested.

It was agreed that "x-image-auto-center" and "y-image-auto-center" will be
replaced by "x-image-position" (left/right/center) and "y-image-position"
(top/bottom).

"Job-recipient-name" and "media-weight-english" were removed from the
document.

It was suggested that the protocol include the specification of both input
tray and media size. A "media-by-tray" attribute will be added.

During the review, Tom noted various other minor modifications that were
suggested and agreed. He will update the document and issue the next draft
before a PWG Last Call.

3.4 Presentation Direction

Bob explained two new [Job Template]
attributes-"presentation-direction-requested" and
"presentation-direction-number-up"-that he proposes for additional control.

It was agreed that presentation-direction (as it applies to number-up) will
be included in the updated Production Printing Attributes document.

We also reviewed the document again at the December IPP WG meeting (which
you were unable to attend).  Those minutes contain:

2. Administrivia
· Final voting process to start to become PWG standards:
* IPP Production Printing Attributes - Set1
* IPP Override Attributes for Documents and Pages
* IPP "output-bin" attribute extension
* IPP "finishings" attribute values extension

10.1 IPP Production Printing Attributes - Set1

Tom Hastings announced that Xerox has discovered a few problems with
Impression Image Shifting Attributes in this document and would like to
delay its progression to PWG Standard. They would like to include more
terms, attributes, and clarifications in Section 3.18. Tom explained the new
attributes and described several methods of placing impressions on paper.
The proposed modifications have not yet been distributed for review,
but Tom plans to issue a new draft soon.

We discussed the image shifting by drawing pictures on the flip chart easel
to verify that the distinctions between imposition and signature printing
agreed with industry practice.

I hope this helps answer your concerns about the time we've spent on them.

Thanks,
Tom