PWG> IPP Production Printing Attributes

Herriot, Robert Robert.Herriot at pahv.xerox.com
Wed Feb 21 14:53:35 EST 2001

A great deal of the complexity of JDF comes from several concepts IPP
doesn't support:

a) conventional printing (e.g. offset). There are a lot of steps involved
and each machine in a print shop does only one part of the process. JDF
allows the whole process to be specified. In IPP, one box does it all --
even in production printing. So if finishing is done on some machine other
than the IPP Printer, the IPP Printer more than likely says that it doesn't
support finishing.

b) JDF allows a customer to express intent in order to get a bid. So a
customer can specify a set of acceptable values. The same customer submits
the job using the same intent but selects a particular value from each set.
Some person (or program) translates this intent into a series of processes
that will produce the document on the equipment available in the shop. One
process might be an IPP Printer which receives an IDPrinting element.