PWG> Alternative JDF derived Job Ticket

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 14 16:05:03 EDT 2002

Peter recently posted a PWG Job Ticket proposal derived from IPP
attributes. While I wholeheartedly support establishing and leveraging the
PWG Semantic Model (and deriving it largely from IPP)... I want to bring
to the attention of PWG members that there is already a robust XML Job
Ticket defined by the CIP4 JDF working group. http://www.cip4.org/

JDF has it's roots in Graphic Arts and Workflow and , in it's full
definition, the JDF JT is not as simple as what Peter is proposing. The
JDF JT incorporates aspects of the Adobe Portable Job Ticket Format and
addresses things like order of operations, has longevity and facilitates
job tracking and accounting. Nonetheless, the JDF Job Ticket can be
reduced and simplified.

Because the JDF job ticket is already gaining acceptance in some industry
segments and overlaps with our goals to a degree, I suggest we consider
either basing our Job Ticket definition on JDF (see link to simple
example, below) or, at least, assure a simple mechanical XSLT mapping
between the two.

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/Semantic_model/Simple_JDF_JT.xml
Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems