Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Aug 23 22:54:28 EDT 2002

The IPP WG Last Call period closed July 31 on the two IPP Notification specs
that are required for IPP Notification:

(1) IPP Event Notifications and Subscriptions
<draft-ietf-ipp-not-spec-09.txt>
(2) The 'ippget' Delivery Method for Event Notifications
<draft-ietf-ipp-notify-get-07.txt>

and Carl-Uno declared that (1) was approved, since there were no comments
and that (2) achieved consensus to drop the redirection mechanism entirely
from the IPPGET document.

However, we have continued discussion about the merits and problems of the
redirection mechanism because Harry Lewis has been the main objector to
removing the redirection mechanism from IPPGET.  As a result I have not yet
produced a new version of the document and Carl-Uno has not forwarded either
of the documents to Ned Freed, our Area Director.

If we keep redirection in, there are still two changes to the document
needed:

1. Add a client conformance requirement to re-try the Get-Notifications if
Printer returns the "redirect-uri" attribute and the
'redirection-other-site' (0x0300) status code.  Otherwise, we don't get
interoperability with all clients if the Printer returns a redirection.

2. It has been suggested that there is an issue about client caching of the
redirection URI (though I don't see why, since the Printer wants the client
to always use the Notification Server).  HTTP has something about client
caching and the IETF will probably comment on IPPGET client caching, further
delaying our document.  Bob has suggested that the client SHOULD NOT cache
the redirection-uri.  The current draft section 10.2 has a sentence that
suggests that the client MUST cache the redirection URI:

  "10.2 redirection-other-site (0x0300)

  This status code means that the Printer doesn't perform that
  Get-Notifications operation and that the "redirect-uri" operation
attribute
  (see section 5.2.3) in the response contains the uri that the Notification
  Recipient MUST use for performing the Get-Notifications operation.  If the
  client issues subsequent Get-Notifications operations, it MUST use the
value
  of the "redirect-uri" operation attribute returned by the Printer as the
  target of the operation."

The justification for the redirection mechanism is to off load the support
of the IPPGET Delivery Method from a Printer to a Notification Server that
could be used by multiple Printers.  Do we really know how hard it is for a
Printer to support IPPGET itself?  After all, it is just a polling method
that the client uses.

Since the IPPFAX protocol is using the IPPGET, perhaps some implementors
have some real experience with IPPGET.  How hard is it to do in the Printer
itself?  Would it help a Printer implementation, if it could offload IPPGET
support?

Therefore, Carl-Uno and I ask the IPPFAX WG to consider at its face-to-face
IPPFAX WG meeting on Monday AM Aug 26 whether there is sufficient
justification for going against the IPP WG Last Call consensus to delete the
redirection mechanism.  And then to bring a recommendation to the PWG
Plenary Tuesday AM Aug 27 (with possible more discussion of people not
involved in IPPFAX)?

The technical discussion has revealed the following points:

1. The HTTP redirection mechanism can't be used for IPPGET to have a
Notification Server handle the Get-Notifications request for the Printer,
since HTTP redirect would redirect all IPP requests, not just the IPPGET
request.

2. There are several ways that the Notification Server can determine for
which Printer the redirected IPPGET request is for, without needing to add
anything more to the Get-Notifications request or response.  So supporting
redirection in the Printer does seem to hang together.

3. What are we going to say about client caching of the redirect-uri?

4. Support by a Printer of a Notification Server is purely an implementation
matter and doesn't affect the IPPGET interface, as long as the client always
honors the redirection returned by the Printer.

Process considerations:

Could we delete the redirection mechanism for now from IPPGET?  Get our RFC
published as a Proposed standard.  Implement IPPGET and do interoperability
testing.  See if the burden in the Printer of supporting the IPPGET method
justifies offloading it to a Notification Server using the redirect
mechanism.  If the implementation experience shows that its not much of a
burden in the Printer we made the right decision to delete redirection.  If
implementation experience shows that having a Notification Server is
important to off-load the Printer's support of the IPPGET method, then add
the redirection back into the IPPGET spec before progressing the document to
a Draft standard.  Perhaps in the meantime, IBM can also implement the
Notification Server and see if it is really a win and that the extra
administrative effort is worth the benefit to simplifying the Printer
implementation.

Comments?

Tom