PWG> Re: Character repertoires in printers

don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Fri Oct 25 10:16:03 EDT 2002

Elliott, et al:

I too think that the set-of-fonts questions is orthogonal to the
set-of-glyphs question so let's set aside the set-of-fonts question and
called it solved (at least temporarily by the five generic font families.)

I would hope (and beleive) that some set of character set experts have
already done a yeoman's job of grouping the glyphs together into some
reason number of sets that hold all the necessary glyphs to represent some
number of languages.  In the Bluetooth printing model, we use the set of
glyphs (not the encodings) from the ever popular:

- ISO 8859.xx
- GB2312-80 (Chinese - PRC)
- Shift JIS (Japanese)
- KS C 5601-1987 (Korean)
- Big5 (Chinese - Taiwan)
- TIS-620 (Thai)

All the encodings were UniCode.

(I guess I just prejudiced the discussion.)

 Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com

 Member, IEEE SA Standards Board
         PatCom Chair, SCC Liaison
 Member, IEEE-ISTO Board of Directors