PWG> PWG Process

Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Jan 30 16:58:28 EST 2003

Harry,

Don't feel discouraged.  I thought that the discussion was very helpful and
showed that we need to try to improve on the written form of our process.
Most of the confusion is what do we call things.  We've been doing a pretty
good job at following the steps.  But sometimes we have different ideas of
how far along the steps we are and what we call each step.

You wrote below:
"One of the key elements of the existing process is that there are ONLY 3
LAST CALLS."

I'd like to claify that the current document had 3 *TYPES* OF LAST CALLS for
a standard's track document.  There can certainly be more than "3 LAST
CALLS" for a standards track document.  Certainly, the feedback loop in the
diagram on page 13 anticipated that some LAST CALL votes would fail and new
versions of the document would have to be produced and another LAST CALL
attempted, etc.

I also think there was a lot of consensus of geting rid of the middle TYPE
of LAST CALL, so that a document would transition from Proposed Standard to
(Final) Standard.

Something that needs to get added to the process flow is the idea that a
Proposed Standard (after Last Call) could be decided later based on actual
product usage in the field to be revised to become another Proposed Standard
with another Last Call, rather than being progressed to (Final) standad with
no changes following a Last Call.  Thus a standard could cycle through a
series of Proposed Standards over time as experience with deployed products
occurs.  This path is very similar to what happend with IPP, where we had a
V1.0 and a V1.1, both of which were Last Called and both of which had
interopeaability events before their Last Calls.

Tom