PWG> PWG Process update

Wagner,William WWagner at NetSilicon.com
Mon Feb 24 14:48:00 EST 2003

Rick,

To attempt to address your question directly, it is my understanding that  Version number  is to provide an indication of Specification Maturity. This apparently is adopted from other standards groups, where there is some significance  to certain version numbers rather than them just being consecutive numbers. (It would be useful to have that correlation specified.)   Indeed, as you may recall from the plenary, evidence of specification maturity to convince one's management to proceed with prototyping was one of the motivations for the process change. Those individuals who voiced that problem seem pleased with the proposed change, which suggests that their management just needed a maturity indicator different from what we had.

My problem is a little different, since it is not my management that I must convince but my customers. And a sequence such as you outline (or the original process) makes it easier to do this than the currently proposed process. However, it appears that I am in the minority.

Bill Wagner/NetSilicon

-----Original Message-----
From: McDonald, Ira [mailto:imcdonald at sharplabs.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 2:54 PM
To: 'Rick Seeler'; pwg at pwg.org
Subject: RE: PWG> PWG Process update

Hi Rick,

I understand your concern, but the process really is intended to have
prototyping (preferably by more than one company although not necessarily,
in the case of an open source prototype) BEFORE voting to promote to
Candidate Standard.

Historically, PWG developed standards (Job MIB and IPP) have always
been prototyped during the working draft stage by one or more
vendors and their results have driven the specification stage.

In the IETF/W3C processes, a later Working Draft is deemed complete
enough by email concensus on a Working Group's mailing list to be
prototyped - it has NO official status outside the Working Group.
In order to actually be moved forward to IETF Proposed Standard
or W3C Candidate Recommendation, viable prototypes are strongly
recommended to have been completed and results published.

The PWG Process 2.0 shortens the IETF process to align with the
W3C, ISO, and many other standards organizations who have some
official "Candidate" phase followed by "Standard".

The need you're articulating is covered in the ISO process
which has the following steps:

TN - Technical Note (our PWG Working Draft)
CD - Committee Draft (passed WG 'last call' but NOT a formal vote)
DIS - Draft Int'l Std (our PWG Candidate Standard)
IS - Int'l Std (our PWG Standard)

Using 'CD' wouldn't be good for PWG (conflicts in meaning with 'CS').

And really we want prototyping long BEFORE a working group would
'last call' their SD (Stable Draft) or whatever.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc