PWG> Process document updated

thrasher at lexmark.com thrasher at lexmark.com
Tue Apr 1 12:14:05 EST 2003

Regarding Issue 1 in section 9.3 of the process document:

I think we need to look at rewordinig item 7 such that it removes the
requirement  to fill out a LOA from
voting members (companies) that either don't hold, or are not aware of
patents that are relevent
to the Working Draft.  This should be the assumed case if no LOA is
returned......

There are/will be cases in which voting members (companies) of the PWG do
not participate in a PWG
chartered effort such that  knowledge of relevant IP (or the subject matter
of the effort itself)  will not be
known without an exhaustive patent search for every PWG effort.

Given the current wording in the process document, a PWG voting member can
essentially block
the progress of a standard from Working Draft to Candidate Standard simply
by NOT submitting
a LOA.

Dennis Carney <dcarney at us.ibm.com>@pwg.org on 03/27/2003 11:23:06 AM

Sent by:    owner-pwg at pwg.org