PWG> Process

Wagner,William WWagner at NetSilicon.com
Thu Jun 5 19:23:42 EDT 2003

If I am add by 2 cents...

Although I understand and agree with the apparent intent of Don' s  suggestion Process Document addition that started this thread, I suggest that a statement in the process document that requires a "roughly equivalent" level, effectively to be subjectivly determined, is meaningless on one side and a potential cause of future arguments on the other. A mapping of what is considered equivalent levels to applicable standards organizations would be necessary.

Although I agree that  IPP may be a special case, the intent of the provision is, to paraphrase Don, to make sure that a PWG standard is based on a stable foundation. Therefore, I also agree with Ira that doing nothing with the IPP RFC's is undesirable.
Carl-Uno suggests that they can be advanced in the IETF. But can we tolerate the time delays? We had previously considered the  idea of attempting the transfer of these documents from the IETF. Was there any action done on that?

So there does not appear to be a good solution. Which is the least bad? Assuning that that is the liklehood of the RFC's being reclassified historic is small, the PWG defining its  maturity level terms equivalent to the IETF terms seems least painful. If, in the future, we believe that a IETF document, at whatever level teh IETH defines it, is not sufficiently mature for our purposes, we would simply not reference it.

Bill Wagner

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Ron.Bergman at hitachi-ps.us [mailto:Ron.Bergman at hitachi-ps.us]
	Sent: Thu 6/5/2003 6:14 PM
	To: imcdonald at sharplabs.com; Ron.Bergman at hitachi-ps.us; don at lexmark.com
	Cc: harryl at us.ibm.com; pwg at pwg.org; thrasher at lexmark.com
	Subject: RE: PWG> Process

	Ira,

	It seems to me that providing the printing community with an
	accurate indication of the maturity of the standards would be
	extremely helpful.  The PWG is the author of these standards
	and the only organization that can accurately access the
	current level of maturity.  The IETF can certainly provide
	input for some issues, but it is still up to the PWG to
	determine the interoperability and acceptance of all IPP
	functions.

	I believe we have only two reasonable choices:

	1. Define a PWG maturity level for the IETF documents.

	2. Ignore maturity altogether and let the market rule.

	        Ron