PWG> Additional process issues

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 3 13:04:55 EST 2004

Before our PWG Process document conference call, tomorrow (10AM PST, 1PM
EST) I would like to surface three new topics which have recently come up.

1. Use and adaptability of PWG schemas in commercial products.

    In the past, we have produced mainly specification or best practices
type documents which retain the PWG copyright. These standards
specifications are used as reference in developing commercial products but
the documents are not, themselves, directly incorporated into a product.
With XML schemas (and MIBs for that matter) the copyrighted material may
be incorporated directly within a product and/or may be extended to obtain
derivative works. I know it is our intention that MIBs and PWG schema be
used, freely, in this manner... but do we need to make this more explicit
in our process documentation or within the schema themselves?

2. Inclusion of a separate Semantic Model section within the PWG Process
document.

    It might be more effective if we remove the (newly added) SM chapter
to a separate document. As important as SM is to PWG, it dilutes the
overall process document to highlight one specific effort separately.
Also, in breaking it out, we can do a better job of addressing other SM
topics such as limits to dynamic access and copyright.

3. Common handling of PWG schema.

    As the Semantic Model and its associated schema become widely adopted
and leveraged by other standards organizations, we need a formal mechanism
for managing our schema through the development phase and into some final
durable form and location. We need to respond to this quickly to support
the FSG Japan group and their use of our WBMM (Printer MIB derived)
schema. The process needs to address not only schema development and
directory structure but also schema validation and verification.
Harry Lewis
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers