Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Tue May 11 13:43:08 EDT 2004

Ira, great work. Thanks for forging ahead on this. I feel we at least need
to test consensus on your rationale for not using XML encoding. Especially
the part that says web services is not feasible for CE devices. Aren't
they putting web services in light switches these days?
Harry Lewis
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>
Sent by: owner-pwg at pwg.org
05/10/2004 12:07 PM

"'pwg at pwg.org'" <pwg at pwg.org>
cc
"'Nagasaka Fumio'" <Nagasaka.Fumio at exc.epson.co.jp>
Subject
PWG> Posted draft PWG Simple Job Ticket [10 May 2004]

Hi folks,                                           Monday (10 May 2004)

[For review at the next PWG face-to-face meeting in Vancouver, BC,
during the Consumer Electronice BOF on Thursday (27 May 2004)]

I have just posted an initial draft of a non-XML, string-encoded
PWG Simple Job Ticket at:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/BOFs/ce/tb-cesjt10-20040510.htm

Please read the SJT/1.0 example in Appendix D (see below) and the brief
ABNF in Appendix C before reading the body of this document.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com

[PS - Jerry - I cut and pasted the cover page style and boilerplate from
Harry's most recent PWG Process 2.0 draft - please point out any errors
- the boldface didn't cut and paste in titles such as 'About IEEE' and
the PWG graphic isn't there - those will come in an MS Word-based draft]

[PPS - I created a subdirectory 'ce' under '/pub/pwg/BOFs' for CE stuff]

[example SJT/1.0 JobTicket instance, excerpted from Appendix D]

.pwg:JobTicket              -- begin job ticket
101="sjt10"                 -- type and version
155="201,252"               -- media and finishings on job mandatory
156="vnd,http://example.com/sjt-namespace.txt" -- Vendor ABNF

.pwg:Job                    -- begin job
201="iso_a4_210x297mm"      -- ISO A4 letter
251=3                       -- 3 copies of this job
252="4,6"                   -- staple and cover finishings on job
vnd:251=50                  -- vendor extension 'JobZoom'

.pwg:Document               -- begin document
301=202                     -- JPEG document format
302="http://example.com/pictures/778.jpg" -- document URI
355="Bermuda Sunset"        -- document name
vnd:351=3                   -- vendor extension 'DocumentSharpening'
./pwg:Document              -- end document
./pwg:Job                   -- end job
./pwg:JobTicket             -- end job ticket