Norbert Schade norbertschade at comcast.net
Tue Jun 22 08:04:21 EDT 2004

Harry,
a few personal comments from my point of view:

1. my company Oasis Semiconductor is very engaged in the MFP section of the market.
so I would certainly listen carefully to everything that type of group would say.

2. I suffer with some conceptional design decisions in the Semantic Model.
I think the description of the finishing features was rushed and could be reviewed.
and I am a believer that a structured tree has some advantages over a long list of standalone feature or capabilities descriptions. instead of describing the same element three times and call it something like 'FeatureDefault', 'FeatureReady' and 'FeatureSupported' I would prefer a structured tree of features, allow the tree to be defined three times and add an attribute with three enumerations 'Default', 'Ready' and 'Supported'. that way the firmware and host software could reuse the same functions with different meaning. and the SM would decrease in size, which I consider artificially blown up by that cause.

3. the UPDF structure supports PrintCapabilities.
it was designed from the beginning - to be exact, at some early stage it was planned - to support other device processes like faxing and scanning as well.
so the way the UPDF structures are designed, they could be easily extended to support drivers of other processes.

Don't know exactly what you have in mind, as there are quite some parameters an MFP cares about.
but I'll follow the discussion.

cheers
Norbert Schade