PWG> Media Surface characteristics

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Mar 29 11:46:43 EST 2005

Hi,

Recopied IPP WG list, because:
    postings from non-subscribers
(b) The element in question _is_ in fact normatively defined by an IPP spec
    (see below).

As I told Harry Lewis earlier this morning, the ultimate source of the
media-coating attribute is CIP4's JDF/1.0 spec (they distinguish between
'front-coating' and 'back-coating' and they now have a longer list of
enumerated surface types).

The FSG/OpenPrinting Job Ticket API/1.0 (now in 'last call') also supports
both 'front-coating' and 'back-coating' elements in abstract job tickets.

The proper normative reference for this element is IEEE/ISTO PWG 5100.3.

The PWG Semantic Model does NOT define any element, just collates them
into a dictionary and represents them in XML Schema.  The PWG SM always
imports the semantics of each element fromn a cited source specification
(IETF, PWG, etc.).

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434