Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Apr 21 12:08:26 EDT 2003

In going over my notes I discovered one more significant conformance changes
proposed change for the IPP Document object from Thursday's April 17,
telecon.  This proposal will also go through the two-week comment period.

1. DEPRECATE the way a client can close a Job by supplying an empty
Send-Document operation supplying the "last-document" = 'true' operation
attribute for a Job created with Create-Job and any of (1)
Create-Document/Send-Data, (2) Send-Document, and/or (3) Send-URI.  When the
Printer accepts this no-data Send-Document operation with  "last-document" =
'true' the Printer MUST set the still REQUIRED "last-document" Document
Description attribute.  Instead, the client SHOULD use the new Close-Job
operation (which also sets the "last-document" Document Description
attribute).

The Printer MUST continue to support this method of closing a job with an
empty Send-Document request for backward compatibility with existing
clients.

As with the other two mail messages on significant conformance requirements
changes, I will not edit this comment into the spec until we reach consensus
on Friday, May 1.

Please send comments.

Tom