Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Jul 28 16:25:24 EDT 2003

Here are the current specifications for these two new error status codes
from the current Document Object spec (circa June 3 with Dennis's comments
added):

13.1 server-error-too-many-jobs (0x050B)

The client has attempted to create a Job using any of the Job Creation
operations which would exceed the capacity of the Printer and/or the policy
for this user or type of Job.  The client SHOULD NOT try again later.

DMC ISSUE17: I would have said SHOULD try again later, because resources
might have been freed up.  That is, I would have read "too many jobs" as a
resource issue and "too many documents" as a policy issue.  If we're saying
not to try again, we should be clear that this error should only be returned
if the problem is not expected to go away.

13.2 server-error-too-many-documents (0x050C)

The client has attempted to create a Document using any of the Document
Creation operations which would exceed the capacity of the Printer for this
Job and/or the policy for this user or type of Job.  The client SHOULD NOT
try again later.

For server-error-too-many-jobs: "The client SHOULD NOT try again later"

Dennis proposes:  "The client SHOULD try again later."

Michael proposes: Remove the policy possibility from the description and use
'client-error-not-possible' to mean a hard error and use MAY:

The client has attempted to create a Job using any of the Job Creation
operations which would exceed the capacity of the Printer.  The client MAY
try again later.

Looking at the status codes descriptions in [rfc2911], I'd suggest:
The client has attempted to create a Job using any of the Job Creation
operations which would exceed the capacity of the Printer.  The client MAY
try the unmodified request again at some later point in time with an
expectation that the capacity condition may have changed.

For server-error-too-many-documents:  "The client SHOULD NOT try again
later"

Dennis proposes no change.

Michael proposes the same change:
The client has attempted to create a Document using any of the Document
Creation operations which would exceed the capacity of the Printer for this
Job.  The client MAY try again later.

How about to align more with [rfc2911]:
The client has attempted to create a Document using any of the Document
Creation operations which would exceed the capacity of the Printer for this
Job.  The client MAY try the unmodified request again at some later point in
time with an expectation that the capacity condition may have changed.

Tom