[SM3] [Cloud] Normalizing the Cloud Imaging Model with the Semantic Model and IPP

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Mon Jan 6 18:56:44 UTC 2014

Michael,

There are, typically, multiple valid solutions to an engineering problem,
and insofar as IPP plans to provide a complete solution to multifunction and
cloud imaging, it is unclear that there is any advantage in pursuing an
abstract model. At this point, I admit that I do not understand the IPP
approach to multifunction or whether there is a system, and the Cloud model
we are dealing multifunction. So maybe we should just wait until those
concepts are clear in IPP.

1. With respect to the notification service, I agree with your objection.
And from the Semantic Model, the System Control Service does not deal with
jobs, so aside from reporting on the existence and state of system services,
it cannot provide information on Jobs. So we are left with the local proxy
communicating with individual Cloud Services, or the idea of a Cloud proxy
that parallels the local proxy function. This Cloud Proxy just a modeling
component allowing the cloud services to remain modeled as classical imaging
services supporting no new operations, and allows the local proxy some
efficiency in communicating with just one cloud endpoint. However, the idea
of a common point for Cloud Imaging System Communication assumes that there
is an Imaging System and not just isolated imaging services. It seems to me
that IPP does not yet include the concept of a system containing multiple
imaging services of different types, so no aggregating element that Cloud or
SM define will find a match in IPP.

At any rate, we can have the local proxy communicate with individual
services as you suggest, although since the communication is with a specific
service, it would seem that GetNotifications rather than
GetPrintNotifications, GetScanNotifications, etc would be sufficient.

2. IPP devices and SM devices are not the same. An SM Device represents the
hardware implementing one or more services and exposes all subunits involved
in those services. Although not specifically stated, a device appears be the
hardware  containing the System. The model itself does not identify a device
as distinct from a system. An IPP device appears to be some collection of
subunits but does not correspond to a service.
I think it reasonable that in the Cloud Imaging model, we do not concern
ourselves with device or subunit management. If the Semantic Model intends
to address subunit management, the subunits are associated with each service
(except, oddly, the system control service). I certainly do not understand
the comment  " System Control Service is responsible for maintaining the
state of all devices and subunits managed by the System Object."
Thanks,
Bill Wagner