WBMM> Differences

Wagner,William WWagner at NetSilicon.com
Sat Feb 8 20:49:20 EST 2003

Harry,

At least  we both agree with Cathy.

To answer your questions:

a. Replacing MIBs as an object itself would inherently self justify the effort.  However, as a part of a solution, the need for such an effort must be justified.

b. You can define a PWG activity which, for the various  reasons you have cited, determines that developing a replacement for MIBs is a justifiable object in  itself. Quite frankly, I am not sure that I even understand what you mean  by a replacement for MIBs, and I suggest that some examples may help.

Regardless, at this point, your own position is that we have not adequately scoped out the WBMM. Therefore, to preserve some order, I suggest that we should not be considering solutions to a problem we have not defined, but continue in an orderly way to scope out the objective.

Indeed, even though I would agree that I see little alternative to  HTTP, probably XML, and quite possible SOAP as being components of the solution, I would not define these in the objectives or even the requirements. Nor would I refuse to entertain alternate ideas if reasonable ones were offered. Again, I think that short-circuits the development process.

Bill Wagner

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Harry Lewis [mailto:harryl at us.ibm.com]
	Sent: Fri 2/7/2003 3:28 PM
	To: Wagner,William
	Cc: wbmm at pwg.org
	Subject: RE: WBMM> Differences

	Whether we define a "replacement for MIBs" as the result of "establishing a transport, protocol and format as part of the solution" ... or we do it because it is justifiable in itself... what's the difference?

	I wold argue it IS justifiable for reasons I cited in an earlier post.. not the least of which is resolving some of the force fitting we did with the MIB (ex. MIB-II, hrMIB)... (ex. "magic decode ring").

	Also, there are multiple models today (CIM, SNMP, NPAP etc.) which it would be good to consolidate

	Also, this is an opportunity for the PWG to address MFP function which we've shied from for, probably, too long.
	Harry Lewis
	IBM Printing Systems

	"Wagner,William" <WWagner at NetSilicon.com>

02/07/2003 01:09 PM